Reference Sources & Research Tools
Plagiarism and Turnitin (Originality Check)
Plagiarism is the appropriation of ideas or works of others without reference to the creator and the source, regardless whether this occurs with or without intention as one’s own work. Plagiarism is considered violation of intellectual property rights and is a legal offense.
Copyrights in Cyprus are regulated by the Copyright and Neighbouring Rights Law of 1976 to 2006 (Law No. 59/1976, as amended by Laws 63/77, 18/93, 54(I)/99, 12(I)/2001, 128(I)/2002 and 128(I)/2004 and 123(I)/2006).
Copyright is recognized on the following works:
(a) Scientific works
(b) Literary works
(c) Musical works
(d) Artistic works
(e) Cinematographic films
(g) Sound recordings
Turnitin is a plagiarism prevention service that allows instructors to check student papers and written assignments for originality against Internet sources, other student submissions, and academic databases. In addition, Turnitin provides instructors the tools to engage students in the writing process, provide personalized feedback, and assess student progress.
It is accessible through Blackboard and Moodle to all members of the EUC academic world.
On how to get started
Turnitin provides faculty and students with many resources (videos, handouts, infographics) on plagiarism prevention, improving writing skills, feedback best practices and more.
Citation Web Tools
- Mendeley is a free reference manager and academic social network that can help you organize your research, collaborate with others online, and discover the latest research. Our University offers students the institutional edition. You can automatically generate bibliographies, collaborate easily with other researchers online, import papers from other research software, find relevant papers based on what you’re reading, access your papers from anywhere online, and read papers on the go, with iOS and Android apps. All members of the European University Cyprus community (students and staff) are eligible for the institutional edition.
- RefWorks is a tool used for the organization and management of bibliographies. The user can create his/her own database by importing references either automatically from online bibliographic databases or manually (including text files). References can be arranged according to several manual styles (MLA, APA, Chicago Manual of Style, Turabian, etc.) and used for bibliographies in articles, studies, etc.
Who can use RefWorks and how
RefWorks is an online application and does not require the installation of anything in your personal computer. All members of the European University Cyprus community (students and staff) are eligible for a RefWorks account. RefWorks can be accessed through a computer that is connected to the European University Cyprus network (either on-campus computers or computers connected to the EUC network). Access to RefWorks requires the opening of an individual account for each user. Refworks guide available here.
Citation Guides & Style Manuals
- American Anthropological Association Style Guide
- Cite References by Bournemouth University
- Citing Sources by Bridgewater State University
- Citing Medicine: The NLM Style Guide for Authors, Editors, and Publishers.This second edition, published online in 2007, is continuously updated.
- Citing Sources has comparison tables for print & electronic including MLA by Duke University
- Nova Southeastern University Citation Style Guides
- Ohio State University Citation Guide